Simple Steps to Maintain Quality Veterinary Oral Hygiene
Maintaining a clean and healthy mouth is essential to pet wellness and is known to be one of the leading health issues among cats and dogs across the United States. Without proper oral hygiene, your companion animal will be more susceptible to diseases, illnesses, and other conditions affecting the heart, liver, and kidneys. Keeping the mouth healthy keeps the body healthy and free from infection. Thus, it is imperative to your pet’s overall well-being to keep up with the appropriate oral hygiene precautions such as scheduling bi-annual pet wellness check-ups, using effective at-home preventive measures, and being mindful of pet dental disease signs and symptoms.
What pet dental care services does East Side Animal Hospital provide?
- Examination of mouth, gums, and teeth during routine pet wellness care
- Pet oral cleanings as needed
- Veterinary dental extractions and oral surgery
- Pet digital dental radiography, otherwise known as digital dental X-rays
- Animal dental diet and nutritional guidance
- Other tools to keep your pet’s mouth in mint condition
What advice is recommended for at-home pet dental care maintenance?
- Brush your pet’s teeth on a daily basis
- Provide special treats and toys that prevent build-up of plaque and tartar
- Utilize water supplements as a preventive measure for build-up
- Apply special gel on teeth designed to prevent plaque build-up
- Feed diets specifically designed to prevent plaque build-up, such as Hill’s Prescription Diet T/d
What are signs and symptoms of pet dental disease?
- Bad breath
- Swelling around the mouth (including the jaw line and gums)
- Teeth stained with yellow or brown discoloration
- Missing teeth or loose teeth
- Discomfort when eating or playing with chew toys
- Loss of appetite
- Drooling (especially in exotic pets)